4/5 STARS FROM ENDZEITGEIST.
This product is a collaboration between Everyman Gaming and Rogue Genius Games.
By Alexander Augunas
Kill Things With Your Mind!
There’s a long history of mental powers in fantasy roleplaying games—beloved by some, hated by others. Traditionally, such abilities were presented as psionic powers, which used their own unique set of point-based manifestation rules that came preflavored with a science-fantasy tone. In the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, these same abilities are represented by the concept of psychic magic. Ultimate Occult re-presents many of these classic psionic concepts using psychic magic. The following are just a few of Ultimate Occult's dramatic retellings of classic psionic ideas:
- Three new occult base classes—the disciplined psion, the stalwart psychic warrior, and the mysterious mentalist. These classes are psychic spellcasters, using the rules introduced in Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Occult Adventures, with a touch of classic psionic mechanics.
- Autohypnosis, a new occult skill unlock for the Intimidate skill.
- New archetypes for each of the new classes presented in this book, including translations of beloved psionic classes and all-new archetypes, such as the bizarrist occultist.
- Over a hundred new psychic spells available both to existing psychic spellcasting classes and to the new classes presented in Ultimate Occult. These spells are designed to emulate and translate classic psionic powers to the psychic spellcasting system.
- Rules for using your psychic powers to create construct creatures of the mind, known as tulpas.
- New magic items that support the psychic spellcasters in this book.
- And much more!
With Everyman Gaming, innovation's never more than a page away!
This is a good book, but the emotional response it elicited from me was less than stellar. As a person, I really disliked this – not, as usual when I experience the like, on a basis of flaws in the rules etc., but due to a pretty strong, emotional, response – which is rather uncharacteristic for me. As a reviewer, I can appreciate the expert craftsmanship that went into its design, I can try to deduce reasons why one likes this and it is my duty to rate this according to its merits, not based on an irrational emotional response and a matter of taste. Hence, I will rate this for what it is – a good conversion of psionics to employ psychic magic instead. The system could have gone one step further and really dive into the nit and grit, though – hence, my final verdict will clock in at 4 stars.